Glen Park Enduro - Final Round 2019

I had one more Enduro on my calendar for the 2019 season - the Glen Park Enduro.  It would be the last race for the 2019 MASS series.  I enjoy Glen Park - it's very flowy with some steep chutes and some small hits. 


I knew the course would be mostly marked by Friday afternoon, so I headed out after school to pre-ride.  I had two stages under my belt and feeling good.  The sun glare was challenging as the light was getting low.  I started my third stage, which was Stage 3.  Going into one of the early corners, I washed out on a soft berm covered in leaves.  Luckily I was just a bit bumped but as I started my ride again, I heard rattling.  I broke the lever to my dropper post.  My saddle was stuck down - which made for any pedaling or climbing to be a challenge.  I finished out the other three stages but was stiff and feeling a bit anxious.


I arrived at Halter's first thing Saturday morning to get my lever repaired.  They were awesome and fixed it promptly and sent me on my way.  But I was now starting to get some negative thoughts in my head about my pre-ride.  I was doubting myself and also starting to worry about the conditions - they were predicting rain.  My last race in 2017 at Glen Park was in the rain - and I was on the ground quite a bit.

Sunday morning I tried to kick the negative thoughts as we waited for our pre-race meeting.  I was lucky to find a friend who I could ride with and hang with.  They usually have the 50+ men line up near the amateur woman. Which means we are always last.  But not this time.  The promoters opted to spread out the starts and have us all going at the same time on different stages.  This was AWESOME - it meant we wouldn't be standing around waiting and then having the later weather.

We started on Stage 5.  Felt good on that one.  Stage 6, which is my favorite, felt great.  I was starting to shake my confidence issues.  Then to Stage 1.  Was feeling good until I ate it just after the transfer trail.  I took a different line than in the pre-ride and washed out.  I quickly gathered myself and inspected my bike.  Nothing broken (or so it seemed).  How much time did I lose? UGH!

photo by N. Sampers

We climbed up to Stage 2 and now it's raining.  My goggles were slimy and I wasn't able to get them completely clean.  I tried riding Stage 2 without my goggles and within the first 5 seconds, I had grit flying into my eyes.  I finished Stage 2 and now to Stage 3 - the one I crashed on Friday.  I told myself "just finish upright" which meant I would be more conservative and cautious.  I made it through the top part and cleared the "rock garden".  I was happy to finish Stage 3 upright. 

photo by N. Sampers

Now onto Stage 4, which was the longest stage and had a bit of pedaling.   At this point, it was raining and conditions were deteriorating.  I remember sliding and it felt like pedaling through tar.  I was tired and wanted to be done.



We finished and handed in our timing chips.  I was happy to change into dry clothes while we waited for our results.  I finished 2nd in the amateur women, 30 seconds off 1st.  I thought my crash on Stage 1 is what cost me but I later found out it was Stage 4, the last stage, where I lost most of my time.  Overall, I am happy with how I finished, all things considered. 


Bravo to the Pocono Bike Club and MASS for putting on a great event! I'm already looking forward to 2020! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?