Marty's CX Double Fun

I signed up for Marty’s double weekend a while ago, when I was in full CX-mode.  The week leading up to Marty’s, I was starting to lose motivation to race.  The weather forecast was looking perfect to be on the trails and I considered bailing on the race.   Even after doing my pre-race routine Friday, I thought about not setting my alarm Saturday.  But I did.


I arrived Saturday morning to see that the course still included the climbing I remembered.  I parked next to some of the funniest ladies, one who reminisced with me about our first time racing together at Marty’s two years ago.  How could I forget?

Marty's CX 2012 - photo by R. Edelstein


I got in two laps, pinned my number, and warmed up with my Fear Factory pre-race mix.  Even though it was a smaller, local race, I knew it was going to be a fast race.  We lined up, cracking jokes before the whistle blew.  That’s the thing about racing local - we all know each other, and for me, this is something that calms my nerves.  


photo by Barb Foley

The whistle blew, and I heard something to my side as my friend had an issue.  Not sure if she missed her pedal or her chain skipped but I called for her to keep going.  I got into third position when she caught us.  I was able to stay on her wheel for a bit.  And then I noticed her pull off.  She flatted.  And I was back in 3rd place.  

photo by Barb Foley

Since we lined up with the Master’s men, we were racing at the same time, on their laps.  Just after I started the bell lap, I looked up the hill near the barriers and noticed guys getting on the course to pre-ride.  I thought “hey, I’m still racing!”.  And then I realized I made the cut off.  I was the last girl through before they pulled my field.  All I had to do was finish and I locked up 3rd place.  Which is what I did.

Day 1 Women's A podium - photo by Barb Foley

Sunday was Day 2 of Marty's CX and I was hoping my climbing legs would not fail me.  Our field was smaller but still some familiar faces.  I had a decent start and hopped into second.


Orange and Blue power house - photo by Eric Oishi

The three of stayed together for two laps.  At the beginning of third lap I went down in one of the corners.  Flashback of Cooper River? First and second rode away and I got back on my bike.  After one pedal stroke, I noticed something was wrong.  My tire was off my rim.  I tried to stay calm, put my tire back on and noticed 4th place was still behind me.  As I approached the pit, a teammate yelled "what do you need".  This was the one race I left my pit wheelset in the car.  I told him - and continued on my lap.  I figured as I came back past the pit, I could change my wheel. 

My failed tubular - photo by Ben Tufford

I knew I wouldn't catch the leader and 2nd place but did I have enough time to change my wheel and keep 3rd place? I took that risk and continued my race on the tubular. I figured I could go into the pit if my wheel failed again.  I rode cautiously on the corners and tried climbing as strong as I could.  I managed to hold my position and finish 3rd.  

Day 2 of Marty's CX - photo taken by James Pearl

For not wanting to race, it turned out to be a pretty good weekend.  A few days later, Ben forwarded me an article that he thought I could relate too.  It was perfect timing and just what I needed this season.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?