Gobble Gobble - 2014 Turkey Trot
Last year I signed up my first Flemington Turkey Trot. I had a great time and I was looking forward to the 2014 edition.
I hadn't been running much leading up to the Turkey Trot. The only running I had done was in CX races, which even though short, was painful. After I put my CX bike away for the season, I had a week to get some running in. Lately my runs have been pretty consistent with pacing. So going into this year's Turkey Trot, I wanted to beat my 2013 time and pace.
Last year I walked from home home to the start of the run but with the snow and sidewalks not clear, Lance offered to drop me off. I arrived about 10 minutes before the start and wow. There were a ton of people there. I think more than last year. I found an opening in the crowd and stepped in waiting for the whistle to blow.
It blew. And I stood there. Just like some of the races I've done, it was an accordion-effect. We started moving, slowly through the official start and shortly after, we were stopped again. As I stood waiting for the crowd to move, I thought "oh no, my time and pace will be slower". Yes, even during a fun-run, my competitive edge comes out.
We started moving again, slowly, as people started shuffling through the first mile. I was weaving in and out of people and the crowd started to thin out as I approached mile two. I found a few people as my carrots, some passing and some getting away. I felt great and before I knew it, I was at the last corner.
I crossed the finish with a big smile. I felt great and looking down at my Garmin, I thought maybe I beat my time last year, even with the bottleneck at the start. I got home and uploaded my data to Strava - and I did beat last year's time and pace. Later in the day, a friend sent me the link to the "official" results - and while I like my data better, I still had a great time running with the other 4,331 registered runners.



Comments