When I was planning out my season, I made Bear Creek XC my last race for the season (I'll save those details for a later post). I love the course - climbing and rocks. And I had
success there last year. However, four weeks ago I wasn't sure I would be racing due to my crash at
Jungle. My ribs were still sore and I had to cut back on my riding. Would I be able to handle the course?
I went up the Wednesday before the race to give it a test ride. While I felt some discomfort, it was nothing that would stop me from racing. I had in my head this would be my last race and I was sticking with my plan. I did two laps at my pace and registered for the Pro/Cat 1 race.
 |
| Ribs Schmibs...not holding me back from racing |
Race day arrived and I saw who I was racing with. With a field of mostly Pros, I knew I had to just race my own race and survive. I got some insight on the course, and that it was similar to Nationals with a few tweeks. Still plenty of climbing and the rocks were still there. Some told me to be careful of not blowing myself up on the climbing. I had three laps - and the third was going to be torture.
The ladies are always the last to line up and start. With the sun blazing, most of us tried to find shade until the last minute. The entire women's field lined up - and somehow the topics of poop and farting came up (I'm finding this to be a theme). I put myself in the 2nd row and waited for the countdown.
 |
| Women's Pro/Cat 1 start - photo by K. Krasley |
As we started up the first climb, I watched the uber fast girls take off. I knew I wouldn't be able to hang with them. Another woman next to me told me to take the line as she knew I was a decent climber. We entered the singletrack and I watched the fast ladies disappear. And then I was alone. Not even 15 minutes into the race. I was pushing hard - so hard that I had to keep telling myself to dial it back or I would blow myself up.
 |
| Obviously this is my first lap as I'm still smiling - photo by P. Freeman |
My first lap was ok. My second lap I was starting to fade. My too-hard effort at the start was catching up? Was I feeling the effects of taking some time off to recover from Jungle? Was it the heat? By the time I was reaching top of the climb on the 2nd lap, the Pro Men were catching me. Great. Just what I needed to boost my spirits.
 |
| I <3 -="" at="" bear="" by="" creek="" freeman="" p.="" photo="" rocks="" td="">3> |
I drank my entire camelback and grabbed a spare bottle as I came into my third lap. I was now in survival mode. I was exhausted - my upper body hated me. I was bonking. I cranked up the last of the climbs and tried to relax for the rocky descent. Coming out of the heckle pit I got lazy and went over the bars. At first I thought I broke my leg it hurt so much - no, just a cramp as I noticed my calf in a knot. Somehow I landed without hitting my ribcage. Phew. I got up, wiped the dirt off and carried on. Slowly.
Was it my best race? Absolutely not. Did I
finish? Yes. I ended up 5th - and I think the only Cat 1 (non-Pro) woman to finish. And how did I celebrate finishing as well as ending my season?
Comments