May Garden Update
I realize it's June. But between school and racing, I haven't had a chance to update on how my garden is doing. My last post left off with me putting in tomato plants, beets, cucumbers, and zucchini. So what happened during the month of May?
Really not much in the way of my plants. However, there were a lot of emails going around about the vole issue. Yes, voles. They apparently look like mice and create headaches for our garden. So I've been told.
The woman (let's call her "the mayor") in charge of the garden has been talking about the vole issue since I first got the plot. Being a "green" gardener and this my first year with a plot, I can't imagine that these rodents are running the show in our garden.
The mayor has talked to "vole experts" at Rutgers Cooperative Extension. She's researched how to combat the critters. Some of her ideas include putting up raptor perches on the surrounding trees. Hiring jack russell or rat terriers and letting them loose in our garden for a day (yes, seriously).
Emails went out at least twice a week about the vole issue. She put mouse traps out with peanut butter, warning parents not only of the traps but that children with peanut allergies should be aware.
Oh, the entertainment. We were reminded to keep our plot edges trimmed to prevent vole habitats. Since I live in a condo, my access to tools is limited. I guess I'll have to use scissors.
Ok - enough vole talk. Here was one of my Jet Star plants happily enjoying the sunshine.
Really not much in the way of my plants. However, there were a lot of emails going around about the vole issue. Yes, voles. They apparently look like mice and create headaches for our garden. So I've been told.
![]() |
| Pesky residents in our garden (or so I've heard) |
The mayor has talked to "vole experts" at Rutgers Cooperative Extension. She's researched how to combat the critters. Some of her ideas include putting up raptor perches on the surrounding trees. Hiring jack russell or rat terriers and letting them loose in our garden for a day (yes, seriously).
Emails went out at least twice a week about the vole issue. She put mouse traps out with peanut butter, warning parents not only of the traps but that children with peanut allergies should be aware.
Oh, the entertainment. We were reminded to keep our plot edges trimmed to prevent vole habitats. Since I live in a condo, my access to tools is limited. I guess I'll have to use scissors.
Ok - enough vole talk. Here was one of my Jet Star plants happily enjoying the sunshine.


Comments