With my
first CX race of the 2015 season out of the way, Nittany CX would be no problem. Right? The week leading up to Nittany, our cat Grasshopper got very sick. The emotional roller coaster I went through had me wondering if I would race at all that weekend. Long story short, we got good news the night before our races and I wanted to spend the weekend with friends and teammates.
The course was similar to previous years and I got in a few laps before the countdown to my race. I knew how I wanted to take the corners, where the roots were and what pressure I would run in my tires. I started to feel a drizzle as I finished my warm-up and headed to the start line.
Since it was a UCI race and I have no points, my start position would be total luck. Well, actually a lottery. I lined up toward the back with most of my friends and familiar faces. I was completely relaxed and laughing. I waited for the countdown and the ladies field was off.
 |
| photo by Bill White |
 |
| photo by Bill White |
I knew I was toward the back but made my way past some of the other ladies. I was making passes and riding strong. The rain was starting to come down harder...and each lap the conditions were changing. The lines I pre-rode earlier were quickly deteriorating. And so was my bike handling. Before I knew it, I was on the ground. And again, on the ground. I was sliding on the corners and my saddle shifted. I watched ladies ride past me while I fixed my saddle. Then my hoods. It was a disaster. I was the first woman to be pulled that day. Disappointed with my riding and
my finish for Day 1. A friend even said "what happened? you are a better rider than that". I'm not sure. But Sunday was a new day.
With Day 1 behind me, I thought about how I would ride differently for Day 2. The course would run in reverse and hopefully dry out by the time my race started. With the exception of the "dreaded mud pit", the course was near perfect for Day 2. Because of my grand finale finish yesterday, I had one of the last starting numbers. Meh. More carrots to chase.
I knew the mud pit would be...well, a cluster-F to say the least. I had in my head to hold back on the first lap as last year so many girls went down, I got caught in the mess. I figured if I went in cautiously, I could either ride it out or run past the mess. That sort of worked. I watched the girl in front of me go down, I kept trudging only to have to get off an run. I remember a friend behind me yelling "this is so disgusting".
We all emerged with brown, mud-caked legs. Our bikes were heavy. I was hoping some of the mud would come off as I rode the drier parts of the course. It didn't. However, I was having a good race, battling with other girls for spots and making passes.
 |
| photo by Elisabeth Reinkordt |
I was chasing another girl leading into the mud pit. No one around me to worry about what line to take. I remember my front wheel hitting something, me stopping and tipping over before I could get unclipped. I splashed down in the mud. Completely submerged. I watched the girl in front pedal away. I ran but my bike felt like a ton. Ben told me that if my bike started to give me trouble due to the mud, I had my pit bike. As I approached the pit, I was starting to close in the gap on the girl in front of me. Do I pit, lose some time but have a clean bike? Or keep pushing, hoping to gain more time and catch her?
 |
| photo by Lauren Chestnutt |
I went with the latter. Lesson learned. Go with the clean bike. My "light carbon bike" weighed a ton and I had no energy to push hard or run up the stairs. I lost sight of the girl in front of me...and was pulled.
Not my best race, but better than the previous day.
Yes, I'm still learning and taking in all the experiences, good and bad. But overall, it was a great weekend.
Comments