Granogue CX 2015
Earlier in the summer I was watching for the 2015 CX schedules to be posted. Granogue popped up and I jumped at the opportunity to register early for the race. Last year it made a come back by promoters Paul and Lisa, and it was an incredible race. I couldn't wait!
This year, Granogue would be the first race of the season for me. The days leading up to the race, I was calm and relaxed. I knew the property and saw the course map, knowing where some of the key features would be.
We arrived on the DuPont property and my anxiety started to rise. First-race-of-the-season jitters. Was I ready for this? Wondering if all my "playing" this summer was going to show? I picked up my number, pre-rode the course, and said hello to friends I hadn't seen in a while.
I helped Lance get ready for his race and had to get ready for my own. I removed myself from most of the people and hid in the shade. I plugged in my ear buds to drown out any chatter and warmed up. I knew once I was at the start line, all nerves would be gone.
As the elite ladies lined up, I found myself in the front row. I knew I couldn't blow myself up on the first lap but also wanted a good start. The whistle blew and we raced down the road. I noticed myself moving back in the pack, girls passing me. Crap. But I knew I had at least 4 laps to get back the positions I lost.
And I did. I made some passes on the corners and put in some efforts on the straight-aways. I was gaining back a few spots here and there. On the last lap friends in the pit yelled I was in 5th place. Yes! But another girl (who I've been racing with for a few years now) was coming for me. And she kept getting closer. As I passed the pit the last time, my coach yelled "she's too close...dig deeper and go!). I tried.
We both turned onto the road and it was her and I for 5th place. She passed me while I tried to sprint. I finished 6th. Yeah, I was bummed that I lost the spot at the finish. But I'll be back for sure.
This year, Granogue would be the first race of the season for me. The days leading up to the race, I was calm and relaxed. I knew the property and saw the course map, knowing where some of the key features would be.
We arrived on the DuPont property and my anxiety started to rise. First-race-of-the-season jitters. Was I ready for this? Wondering if all my "playing" this summer was going to show? I picked up my number, pre-rode the course, and said hello to friends I hadn't seen in a while.
I helped Lance get ready for his race and had to get ready for my own. I removed myself from most of the people and hid in the shade. I plugged in my ear buds to drown out any chatter and warmed up. I knew once I was at the start line, all nerves would be gone.
As the elite ladies lined up, I found myself in the front row. I knew I couldn't blow myself up on the first lap but also wanted a good start. The whistle blew and we raced down the road. I noticed myself moving back in the pack, girls passing me. Crap. But I knew I had at least 4 laps to get back the positions I lost.
photo by Dennis Smith
Photo by Norm Zurawski
And I did. I made some passes on the corners and put in some efforts on the straight-aways. I was gaining back a few spots here and there. On the last lap friends in the pit yelled I was in 5th place. Yes! But another girl (who I've been racing with for a few years now) was coming for me. And she kept getting closer. As I passed the pit the last time, my coach yelled "she's too close...dig deeper and go!). I tried.
We both turned onto the road and it was her and I for 5th place. She passed me while I tried to sprint. I finished 6th. Yeah, I was bummed that I lost the spot at the finish. But I'll be back for sure.






Comments