Rumble in the Jungle 2016
I like riding rocks. Wet rocks.. not so much. I watched the weather forecast leading into the race. Just like last year, they were predicting rain the day prior to the race.
I picked up my number and warmed up on part of Warthog. I watched some of the Cat 2 race and talked to others who went out on the course. Just as I expected, roots were slick and slimy and I was warned about the pavement. Today was a day I would have to relax and let the bike do it's thing. I set my goal to follow the wheel of my long-time mentor since she can pick awesome lines and rides smoothly.
All of the Pro/Cat 1 women lined up together. I lined up in the back. The whistle blew and we all charged up the pavement and into the woods. The three ladies in my category were in line with each other, passing some of the other riders. As we came into a drop, there was a bottleneck and ladies were off their bikes, including me. The wheel I wanted to follow and trusted rode past and I got back on her wheel.
As we started to move further into the course, my mentor told me to pass her. I thought "no, this is not my plan!" but I went around on got on the 1st place wheel. I stayed there for the next two laps, drifting back and forth behind her. The course was getting slick and I knew I had to conserve energy for the last lap.
Coming into the third and final lap, we both climbed the pavement together and I put in a hard effort to pass and take the lead. I was able to keep it for the remainder of the race and finish first in our category.
I picked up my number and warmed up on part of Warthog. I watched some of the Cat 2 race and talked to others who went out on the course. Just as I expected, roots were slick and slimy and I was warned about the pavement. Today was a day I would have to relax and let the bike do it's thing. I set my goal to follow the wheel of my long-time mentor since she can pick awesome lines and rides smoothly.
All of the Pro/Cat 1 women lined up together. I lined up in the back. The whistle blew and we all charged up the pavement and into the woods. The three ladies in my category were in line with each other, passing some of the other riders. As we came into a drop, there was a bottleneck and ladies were off their bikes, including me. The wheel I wanted to follow and trusted rode past and I got back on her wheel.
As we started to move further into the course, my mentor told me to pass her. I thought "no, this is not my plan!" but I went around on got on the 1st place wheel. I stayed there for the next two laps, drifting back and forth behind her. The course was getting slick and I knew I had to conserve energy for the last lap.
Coming into the third and final lap, we both climbed the pavement together and I put in a hard effort to pass and take the lead. I was able to keep it for the remainder of the race and finish first in our category.
![]() |
| Women's Cat 1 40+ podium |
![]() |
| Victory kisses from Tuna - photo by L. Kelly |



Comments