Bubble CX and the NJ State Championship 2016

I love Bubble CX.  I have had some really great races at this venue.  And this year it would be a double race with the NJ State Championship on Day 1.  But when the dates were announced, I already had a "save the date" for a friend's wedding.  What to do...I made the decision to race and then head to my friend's wedding after.  Luckily the Master's race was early enough that I could race and make myself presentable for the wedding.

I couldn't sleep and rather than sit at home I got to the race early.  I knew that getting out to pre-ride would be limited due to the stacked start times.  I watched the first race then got out for a lap.  My legs were still feeling HPCX and I was a bit worried about how they would feel racing today.  I knew the sand to woods transition would be tricky, so I went back and tried two different lines.  I opted to sit and watch the other races before getting on my trainer.


There were only 3 of us in the Master's Women category.  We lined up behind the Master's 40 men.  We had a 30 second delayed start.  I heard the whistle and charged down the gravel road onto the grass.  I pushed hard up onto the grass and was able to open a gap on the ladies behind me.

photo by A. Oishi
I kept pedaling hard, eventually getting into the men's race.  Even though I had no ladies in front of me to chase, the men provided a carrot for me to chase.  I had two clean rides through the beach but fumbled on the 3rd and 4th laps as the ruts and lines changed.  I loved the wooded sections and the descent into the finish line.
photo by A. Oishi
Coming into my bell lap, some of the wicked-fast Master's men were closing in on me.  While I knew I was having my own race, I didn't want to interfere with theirs.  I kept listening for them and their leaders passed me going into the sand and the woods.

Miss Georgia of Easton spectating - photo by E. Mascelli
photo by A. Oishi
I was happy to finish first for the Master's women and win the NJ State race.  And I still had some energy left to dance at my friend's wedding.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?