ESC Glen Park Enduro 2017
Last year I was bored with racing XC and needed a change. I got my feet wet in a few races last year and decided 2017 would be the year I tried more enduros and DH racing. I got a rad new "big" bike for enduro racing and signed up for the first local race, Eastern States Cup Glen Park Enduro.
I'd raced Glen Park last spring and had success. The park has a history of great free-riding with lots of steep chutes and drops. The race was the last weekend of my spring break but due to my schedule, I would have to go up as they were marking the course. The trails are a network of criss-cross tangled lines, and it was up to me to figure out what trails would be included in the five stages.
I arrived to find a few guys pre-riding and offered to let me follow. I actually ended up riding with a father and son from VT, who were incredibly fast and fun to ride behind. Until I ate it on Stage 3 - why didn't I wear knee pads? I ignored the blood and kept pedaling. Some sketchy areas and a few gaps (which I chose to go around). I was ready for the race.
Race day came and since this was a race in the ESC series, there were a large number of women. Yay! I ended up with eight in my category. I chatted with some at the start of Stage 1 and eased my nerves. I had an ok Stage 1, having to dab once. Stage 2 I felt slow - especially on the short punchy climb. Stage 3 I was doing awesome...I felt confident until I ate it on the off-camber section, yard-sale in effect. I thought I heard my tire burp, picked myself up and cautiously rode to the end. I did indeed lose air and filled my wheel at the top of Stage 4. Stage 4 I nailed (rocks are my favorite) and Stage 5 was an ok ride too.
I clocked in at the finish and waited patiently for all the other ladies in my category to finish. I was at the top, in first place. I went back to my car to eat something and clean up. They announced podiums would be in 10 minutes. I went back to double check my times and finish - and I was now in 2nd place...by 1 second! I was disappointed - my crash cost me time. My dab, that cost me time. Ugh. Still a good day and I knew I'd be back for redemption. Click for a write-up and video on Pinkbike.
I'd raced Glen Park last spring and had success. The park has a history of great free-riding with lots of steep chutes and drops. The race was the last weekend of my spring break but due to my schedule, I would have to go up as they were marking the course. The trails are a network of criss-cross tangled lines, and it was up to me to figure out what trails would be included in the five stages.
I arrived to find a few guys pre-riding and offered to let me follow. I actually ended up riding with a father and son from VT, who were incredibly fast and fun to ride behind. Until I ate it on Stage 3 - why didn't I wear knee pads? I ignored the blood and kept pedaling. Some sketchy areas and a few gaps (which I chose to go around). I was ready for the race.
Race day came and since this was a race in the ESC series, there were a large number of women. Yay! I ended up with eight in my category. I chatted with some at the start of Stage 1 and eased my nerves. I had an ok Stage 1, having to dab once. Stage 2 I felt slow - especially on the short punchy climb. Stage 3 I was doing awesome...I felt confident until I ate it on the off-camber section, yard-sale in effect. I thought I heard my tire burp, picked myself up and cautiously rode to the end. I did indeed lose air and filled my wheel at the top of Stage 4. Stage 4 I nailed (rocks are my favorite) and Stage 5 was an ok ride too.
I clocked in at the finish and waited patiently for all the other ladies in my category to finish. I was at the top, in first place. I went back to my car to eat something and clean up. They announced podiums would be in 10 minutes. I went back to double check my times and finish - and I was now in 2nd place...by 1 second! I was disappointed - my crash cost me time. My dab, that cost me time. Ugh. Still a good day and I knew I'd be back for redemption. Click for a write-up and video on Pinkbike.



Comments