MASS Glen Park Enduro Round 1

Two weeks after the ESC Glen Park Enduro, MASS would be hosting the Glen Park Enduro Round 1.  Due to my schedule, I was on the fence about racing since I couldn't get up to pre-ride and inspect the course.  Lucky for me, the course would be the same five stages I raced prior.  So I signed up at the last minute.

The day before the race, heavy rain storms passed through, causing some concern about wet roots and slick corners.  As we waited for the racer meeting, it started to rain.  Great.  The promoter announced that there were a few minor changes from the ESC course, but for the most part, everything was the same.  I had a goal of nailing the two spots I struggled with two weeks ago - Stage 1 and Stage 3.  Oh, and to stay upright.   I noted who the Pro women were - and knew that in addition to my friend (who opted not to race) there was only one other girl registered in my field.  So there were two of us.

I took my time getting up to Stage 1, knowing that I would be the last to go.  I watched the Pro Men and Women on Stage 1, looking at their lines on a part I screwed up at the ESC race.  It started raining.  Again.  I headed up to the start and I was the only woman.  I guess the other gal opted not to race either? I told myself to be cautious as I didn't want to jeopardize my upcoming riding season.

Stage 1 I felt great...I even picked the line I wanted and nailed it.  Then at the very end, the trail was a slick chute, sliding and trying to check my speed.  My left hand hit a tree and I came to a stop.  Damn.  That cost me time.  I pedaled up to the 2nd Stage and while we aren't timed on the transfers, I must have climbed at a decent clip because now I was mingled in with the men.  I kindly asked the gentleman behind me to give me some extra time before starting.

Stage 2 had a short climb that a friend gave me warning about.  I slid on the corners and rode cautiously.  Then I heard the guy behind me catching up.  Just before the finish, my foot came unclipped and I had nothing to brace myself on the bike - and I went off course as he passed me.  I fumbled my way to the finish.  F*CK! That was more time I just lost.

I climbed up to Stage 3, grumbling at myself for my mishap.  I usually ride flat pedals but for racing I opted to go back to clipless.  Was this a mistake today? I made sure I checked my pedals and cleats before rolling up to the start.  Again, I asked the gentleman behind me to give me extra time.  And when he thought it was time to go, give me a little more time.  Stage 3 was the one I yard-saled on at the ESC race.  I wanted a clean run.  I clocked in and was flying...well as much as I could with the conditions.  After the chute I saw someone on the side of the trail, yelling something to me about taking it easy.  As I dropped through the area, my concentration broke and my front wheel slid on the wet roots.  I was on the ground...again.  As I was trying to pick myself up, a guy rode past me.  Then as I was about to hop back on my bike, another guy came.  I don't know how much time I lost for that mishap, but it felt like an eternity.


I had two stages left to make up time - for myself.  Stage 4 is one of my favorites, which has a rock garden at the end. I knew with the on-and-off rain and mud, it would be slick.  I felt awesome on this Stage and as I was getting ready to climb for my last stage, I spotted "her".  The girl who was registered in my class.  Somehow she started earlier and I never saw her until the last stage.  I told myself "whatever...it is what it is".  The transfer had become so slick that even walking was a challenge.

I had a not-so great start on Stage 5 (sliding on the climb/corner) and by the finish, sprinted to the end.  I clocked in and turned my chip in.  Disappointed with the day, I waited on results.

I ended up finishing 2nd.  Out of 2.  DFL.  By two minutes.  I looked at the stages and Stage 2 and 3 I lost the most time compared to 1st place.  Would I have pushed myself a little more if I knew I was actually racing someone? Maybe.  Oh well.  I was happy my mistakes were minor and nothing happened to me or my bike.  I know what went wrong and learning from my mistakes.  So that is a win, I suppose.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?