On the Trail to Recovery...

It's been 6 weeks since my #bumthumb surgery.  When I first met with my surgeon, I asked how long he thought the recovery would be.  He told me it would depend on how complicated my surgery was.  Since I "tore" the ligament 15 years ago, the ligament was already compromised.  Luckily my ligament was in good condition and my surgery went well with no reconstructive surgery.


I swear I heard my surgeon say 6 weeks.  Maybe it was what I wanted to hear.  Because it's now 6 weeks and I'm still recovering.

I started Occupational Therapy (OT) with a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) on August 21st.  I got a custom splint made and began the process of getting mobility back.  My CHT took measurements of how far I could move my thumb and the condition of my scar.  I had very limited movement of my thumb and knew it was going to be a challenge to get back to "normal".  But I was ready for the challenge and was going to work hard.  I asked my CHT what his opinion was as far as my recovery.  He said probably late September or early October.  Ugh.

My custom splint

A scar to remind me what it's like to be knocked down
I started to think about my CX season.  I was hoping to get some fitness back in August and devote the month to training.  We know how that went.  So basically I'm back at zero and made the decision to take this year off from racing.  Every year since 2011 I've devoted my fall to training and racing CX.  I figured this was the year I'd enjoy fall, riding for fun and getting my confidence back.

Stretching my thumb
 I went for a follow-up with my surgeon in early September.  I was hoping that he would clear me to start strength training with my CHT.  Unfortunately my surgeon was not available so I saw the Physician's Assistant (PA).  While he said I was healing nicely and on track, he wanted me to continue with mobility therapy until early October.  I was processing this timeline and asked when he thought I would be back riding outside.  He said early November  It was a punch in the stomach to hear that.  I had already been down about the situation and then to hear this.

The PA explained to me that my ligament needs to be 100% before they clear me to ride outside.  If I fall or jam my thumb, I risk tearing it again and will most likely need reconstructive surgery.   So I'm continuing my mobility exercises and making progress.

It's been a tough 6 weeks.  I'm grateful for the friends who've reached out and those who've provided non-riding distractions. I've been sad, frustrated, disappointed.   Seeing friends photos on social media riding and shredding stings.  A lot.  But I've accepted where I'm at with my recovery and I'm doing the best I can.  November can't come quick enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mountain Bike Camp 2020

Hippo CX 2018

Cured from Sleep Apnea?