Lucky Charm CX 2018
I had no plans of racing CX this year. I have not done any training since Nationals 2017. Not only have I lost fitness, I've also lost the desire to race. But a friend gave me the nudge to get out there again. I dusted the cobwebs off my CX bike and hit a few of the Wednesday night Otto practices. I told myself
that I would enter the CX races that mattered - the first being Lucky Charm CX. I met Michael "Lucky" Lukowiak in 2011 at the MTBNJ 2011 Mooch Madness race. He was a complete goofball and always made me laugh. In the fall of 2017, Lucky was participating in a cross race and had a sudden massive heart attack following the race. Lucky Charm Cyclocross came about as a way to honor Lucky. So figured that if I was going to pin a number this year, it would be for him.
I registered for the Elite - Cat 1-2 race and knew I was going to get slaughtered. But I didn't care. My goal was to put in a good effort and have fun. Yes, have fun. If I was offered a hand-up, I was going to take it.
Lance came with me to the race and as we arrived we were instantly greeted with familiar faces. Since I didn't race last year, there were plenty of people to catch up with. I picked up my number and jumped on the course. I immediately felt like I was back in the "game". I was picking lines and re-riding sections to find my flow. I warmed up at the car and headed to the start.
Between the Cat 3 and Cat 1-2 ladies, there were only 8 of us and we were able to fill the front line. I had my start gear selected and knew the start could be hairy since it was loose gravel. The whistle blew and nailed my start. So much that I was with Stacey off the front. I did not want to be in her way, she "jokingly" asked me not to crash her out and I told her to go for it. I was in 2nd going into the course.
That didn't last long. I heard a tangle behind me early in the course and thought it would give me some time to get a good gap on the field. About 1/2 way into the first lap I popped. I went out too hard for the current fitness I had and started to fade. I was passed by two girls and fell back to 4th overall. There were still some ladies behind me but they weren't in my race.
The remainder of the race I knew my finish spot wouldn't change. I was in third place for my group, which was also last place. I pushed through the remaining laps, having fun on the off-camber sections and ended up almost getting lapped by Stacey.
The race hurt. Just as painful as I remembered when I trained. The only difference was I was just a "tad bit" slower. I finished 3rd in Cat 1-2 and 4th overall.
that I would enter the CX races that mattered - the first being Lucky Charm CX. I met Michael "Lucky" Lukowiak in 2011 at the MTBNJ 2011 Mooch Madness race. He was a complete goofball and always made me laugh. In the fall of 2017, Lucky was participating in a cross race and had a sudden massive heart attack following the race. Lucky Charm Cyclocross came about as a way to honor Lucky. So figured that if I was going to pin a number this year, it would be for him.
I registered for the Elite - Cat 1-2 race and knew I was going to get slaughtered. But I didn't care. My goal was to put in a good effort and have fun. Yes, have fun. If I was offered a hand-up, I was going to take it.
Lance came with me to the race and as we arrived we were instantly greeted with familiar faces. Since I didn't race last year, there were plenty of people to catch up with. I picked up my number and jumped on the course. I immediately felt like I was back in the "game". I was picking lines and re-riding sections to find my flow. I warmed up at the car and headed to the start.
Between the Cat 3 and Cat 1-2 ladies, there were only 8 of us and we were able to fill the front line. I had my start gear selected and knew the start could be hairy since it was loose gravel. The whistle blew and nailed my start. So much that I was with Stacey off the front. I did not want to be in her way, she "jokingly" asked me not to crash her out and I told her to go for it. I was in 2nd going into the course.
That didn't last long. I heard a tangle behind me early in the course and thought it would give me some time to get a good gap on the field. About 1/2 way into the first lap I popped. I went out too hard for the current fitness I had and started to fade. I was passed by two girls and fell back to 4th overall. There were still some ladies behind me but they weren't in my race.
The remainder of the race I knew my finish spot wouldn't change. I was in third place for my group, which was also last place. I pushed through the remaining laps, having fun on the off-camber sections and ended up almost getting lapped by Stacey.
The race hurt. Just as painful as I remembered when I trained. The only difference was I was just a "tad bit" slower. I finished 3rd in Cat 1-2 and 4th overall.
We miss you Lucky.





Comments