Bulldog Rump 2016 Recap
I've often passed on racing the Bulldog Rump because of timing. In the past, it was in mid-July, which is when I'm in the heart of camp and it's usually incredibly hot. The last time I raced Bulldog Rump was 2014, which the NJ State Championship race and prep for Nationals. This year the race was moved almost a month earlier, so it was something I considered.
I told myself that Jungle Habitat would be my XC race of 2016. I was enjoying just riding and not putting in the time training. But then I got that urge to finish out my season with a course and park I know very well. I figured, why not. I had plans to be in the area after the race so it worked out.
I arrived early and got in some riding before, hitting the 2nd part of the course. I took my time getting ready, catching up with people, and staying hydrated. It was a picture perfect day - blue skies, nice breeze, and low humidity.
There would only be two of us in the Cat 1 40+ and five ladies in the Pro class. My goal was just to hang on and have fun. As we lined up, we joked about tire pressure and who to follow. The start was along the field with a strong headwind. I lined up in the 2nd row knowing I could follow a wheel and hide behind someone.
As we entered the woods, I was last of the train of ladies. I was ok with that. As we started up the gravel road and into the singletrack, I felt like my bike was handling different...and sounded different. I looked down and noticed my rear tire was low.
I hopped off and watched the women's field ride away. My rear tire was indeed losing air and was soft. I took off my Camelback to start digging for things. Then I remembered...I gave my spare tube to someone last week at the Bear Creek Enduro. All I had was a hand-pump. I started pumping my tire and could hear hissing. I found the puncture where the Stan's sealant was spewing. Crap. I kept pumping but the puncture wouldn't seal.
Race over. I walked out of the woods in time to see the Pro Men cross and start Lap 2. I notified the officials I was a DNF and went to my car to look more closely at my tire. I put more Stan's in and used my floor pump. Seemed like it was now holding. Go figure. So rather than just call it a day, I rode around watching and cheering for friends and got in some mileage.
Not the way I wanted to end my season but so it goes. Time to relax and enjoy "free" time before CX season!
I told myself that Jungle Habitat would be my XC race of 2016. I was enjoying just riding and not putting in the time training. But then I got that urge to finish out my season with a course and park I know very well. I figured, why not. I had plans to be in the area after the race so it worked out.
I arrived early and got in some riding before, hitting the 2nd part of the course. I took my time getting ready, catching up with people, and staying hydrated. It was a picture perfect day - blue skies, nice breeze, and low humidity.
There would only be two of us in the Cat 1 40+ and five ladies in the Pro class. My goal was just to hang on and have fun. As we lined up, we joked about tire pressure and who to follow. The start was along the field with a strong headwind. I lined up in the 2nd row knowing I could follow a wheel and hide behind someone.
As we entered the woods, I was last of the train of ladies. I was ok with that. As we started up the gravel road and into the singletrack, I felt like my bike was handling different...and sounded different. I looked down and noticed my rear tire was low.
I hopped off and watched the women's field ride away. My rear tire was indeed losing air and was soft. I took off my Camelback to start digging for things. Then I remembered...I gave my spare tube to someone last week at the Bear Creek Enduro. All I had was a hand-pump. I started pumping my tire and could hear hissing. I found the puncture where the Stan's sealant was spewing. Crap. I kept pumping but the puncture wouldn't seal.
Race over. I walked out of the woods in time to see the Pro Men cross and start Lap 2. I notified the officials I was a DNF and went to my car to look more closely at my tire. I put more Stan's in and used my floor pump. Seemed like it was now holding. Go figure. So rather than just call it a day, I rode around watching and cheering for friends and got in some mileage.
Not the way I wanted to end my season but so it goes. Time to relax and enjoy "free" time before CX season!


Comments